Sunday, April 24, 2011

So Much More Than Just Your ABC’s

     Have you ever had a teacher that has significantly changed your life? Luckily, I have been fortunate to have several that have seriously made a positive impact on my life.  I feel like teachers are seriously underrated because everyone thinks that with an education anyone can teach, but in reality that is so not the case.  I have had brilliant teachers with their Phd who suck because they first of all they can’t speak English, second of all can’t relate to a normal human being, and third of all can’t dumb down the material in order to explain it better. (But then you have teachers with their Phd who are exactly opposite).  My sister is getting  her masters in teaching right now, but my family has always known she would make a great elementary school teacher.  My main point is that teachers are the type of people who have to love their job and need to teach for the intrinsic value.  When other factors come into play, the students unfortunately aren’t going to ultimately feel motivated.  



Currently, my modern dance teacher is probably the craziest lady I have ever met yet I can’t even describe the respect I have for her.  She has traveled the world and has lived life to the fullest through dance.  In class, she is strict about details and has high expectations for us, which motivates us to work hard for ourselves.  She is always giving us metaphors from our everyday life in order to give us different avenues to express ourselves artistically.  The thing I admire most about her is the fact that she literally will do anything in order to make a point for us to grow as artists.  A perfect example is the time she literally got done on all fours and mimicked her dog Fe Fe’s actions verbatim in order to portray the message of using hyper qualities when finishing a dance movement.   Teachers who dedicate their lives to teaching students not only the basic subject matter, but also the macro perspective on life are the people who are making our world a better place to live in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment