Monday, March 7, 2011

Where is the Love?

                               "Roses are Red Violets are Blue; Sugar is sweet and so are you."

       I was really disappointed this year about people's attitudes during Valentines Day.  February 14th is a day to celebrate LOVE in all forms.  I think the common misconception is that Valentines day is just about people who are in serious relationships celebrating the fact that they aren't single.  News flash: every single person in the world has experienced love in some shape or form and just because this year you aren't in a relationship doesn't mean you have to be in a bad mood and expect pity from everyone around you.  I remember in elementary school, before things get complicated with relationships, when we used to make cute little cards and candy for the entire class and boys would surprise you with a kiss on the cheek.  Although this is a very cute idea, I believe it is the start of the common misconception about this day.  Spending money on cards, candy, and flowers is a nice gesture but women who are expecting these gifts are putting too much emphasis on the superficial aspects in the relationship.  

     One of my friends sent her mother a huge bouquet of flowers with a note telling her what a great mother she was and that she loved her; Now this is a perfect example of what this day should be about.  Letting the close family and friends in your life know how much they mean to you and how much you appreciate their greatness is the true meaning of Valentines Day to me.  Two of my closest friends are in long distance relationships and this year I helped both the boys surprise the girls with little gifts.  I honestly think I enjoyed planning and completing the deed more than they did because it felt good to do something and I got to show love.    


                                       ☮ ♥ :)
                                                                      


No comments:

Post a Comment